Asbestos training is a legal requirement and if you work on buildings built or refurbished before the year 2000, asbestos could be present. 'The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 require mandatory training for anyone liable to be exposed to asbestos at work' (Health and Safety Executive). You need to ensure you are aware of asbestos regulations and how they affect you.
Asbestos safety is paramount and this online asbestos training module, which has been developed by Virtual College working with partners Life Environmental Services, one of the leading asbestos management consultancies in the UK, is aimed at anyone liable to be exposed to asbestos. In addition to trades such as builders, joiners or roofers it is also aimed at anyone who needs to be aware of asbestos and asbestos related dangers such as facility managers in schools, housing organisations, hospitals, offices or shops.
By the end of this module you should be able to:
- Describe the properties of asbestos in terms of the risks to and effects on health caused by exposure to asbestos and the increased risk to those who smoke
- Outline the types of asbestos and explain where asbestos and Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) can be typically found within buildings and in plant
- Describe the main reasons for the use of asbestos insulation, asbestos insulating boards, asbestos cement and other ACMs
- Describe the risks of fibre release from ACMs
- Demonstrate an awareness of how you would find information about the presence of asbestos before starting work
- Know the procedures to follow if any unintentional contact is made with ACMs and have knowledge of appropriate emergency procedures
- Outline the legislation relating to asbestos, particularly with reference to regulations 4 and 5 of Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR)
- Welcome and Learning Objectives
- An introduction to Asbestos Awareness
- A history of asbestos
- What is asbestos?
- Risks and adverse effects on health
- Typical uses of asbestos and ACMs
- Legislation relating to asbestos and ACMs
- Identifying, labelling, sampling and surveying ACMs
- Basic and Emergency Procedures
- ACMs that can be handled safely
Target AudienceThis module is aimed at anyone who may be exposed to asbestos, such as those involved in refurbishment, demolition, general building or maintenance work where there is a risk of disturbing asbestos during the course of their work. This includes a wide range of professionals such as plumbers, architects, cable layers, roofers and caretakers.
DurationWith over 100 interactive screens, it is estimated that this module will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete (depending on learning speed). As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages and revisit whenever you wish. The system will record your progress throughout.
CertificationOn completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Entry RequirementsThere are no specific entry requirements for this course.
What our customers have saideasy to understand and navigate
I like the multiple choice questions and the regular testing in each module
Perfect. Very user friendly
Cost and Discounts
£30 + VAT - This cost is for a single user.
Discounts are available for multiple users (10 or more) for more information please contact email@example.com, or telephone Sales on 01943 885085.
How it Works
The information below is specific to this particular course. If you would like a more general guide to how our purchasing and learning works please visit the Four Easy Steps page which should tell you all you need to know.
Alternatively; if you have a specific question or concern why not contact us directly ?
This is an online course, all the training will be taken through your browser window. There will be no face-to-face sessions with instructors nor will you receive any training material through the post. If you wish you may print out any page of the training material, and may also print the notes you took during the training.
You can also revisit the training material at any time, even after you have completed the course.
The material for this course has been broken down into several smaller lessons, each lesson dealing with a specific area of the overall subject.
The lesson consist of a series of pages in which an instructor will talk you through the lesson material at a pace that suits you. Pages may also include supporting pictures, graphs, animation or extra sounds to help with the learning where appropriate. Some lessons will include challenges/quizzes to help you keep in touch and interested in the material.
Lessons can be taken in any order and each lesson may be PAUSED and RESUMED at any stage. When all lessons in the course have been completed our system will realise and automatically record that you have successfully completed the course
This course is delivered fully online allowing you to learn at your own pace, however an average duration would be 2-3 hours.
If you would like to buy this course now please enter details of the learner to be enrolled on the course.
When you click "Submit" you will be transferred to our secure payment system (provided by WorldPay) where you will be able to enter your credit or debit card details.
Start Your Training Today
Once the payment has been accepted you will immediately be allocated an account in our Training Management System, and you will be able start your training right away.